- Students are strongly discouraged from missing school as it may compromise their academic progress.
- In the case of an EMERGENCY, first inform the Form Teacher then Deputy Principal.
- All medical appointments should be scheduled for after school. LEAVE WILL NOT BE GRANTED FOR MEDICAL APPOINTMENTS.
- All transport arrangements must be made prior to the learner arriving at school.
Authorized absences are categorized as follows:
- Participation in school related activities
- Verifiable family emergencies
- School-sponsored functions
- Any other absence approved by the school administration
- Suspension as recommended by the Disciplinary Committee
An absence must be justified by professional documentation (doctor, dentist, etc.) or other criteria as approved by the Principal.
- Parents/Guardians are required to telephone the Secretary by 8h30 on the day that their child/ward is absent. A letter/medical certificate explaining why your child/ward was absent must be handed to the Form Teacher, the first day that the child returns to school.
- Students who become ill or are injured while at school are required to go to the office so that parents/guardians can be notified.
- A permission form to leave school early will be issued to the student which must be signed by the parent/guardian and returned to the Form Teacher on the day of return.
- It is the student’s responsibility to complete all outstanding work on her return.
Unauthorized absences are categorized as follows:
- Leaving the premises without authorization from the Administration office.
- Excuses such as oversleeping, car trouble and “missing the bus”.
- Truancy, defined as an unauthorized and invalid absence from school.
- Absence in excess of 2 periods occurring in a day.
Any absence not deemed appropriate by the Principal or other school administrator.
CONSEQUENCES OF BEING ABSENT AND TARDY
All absences will be counted across the entire YEAR.
Parents and students will receive telephone calls and mailed warnings as absences accumulate.
Students may not exceed 5 absences in one term.
Upon the 6th UNAUTHORISED absence, the form teacher will contact the parent. If the absenteeism continues, then the parents will be called in to have a meeting with the form teacher and Deputy Principal.
Failure to attend school regularly may result in the learner being transferred to an alternative educational institution.
Students may receive a failing grade in a class if they accumulate 10 or more unexcused absences in a term. Prior to assigning a student a failing grade, the student or student’s parent/guardian will be given a reasonable opportunity to explain the absences.
Students are not entitled to submit assignments and tests missed due to unexcused absences or to receive marks for such work when it is submitted.
Each unexcused absence will be penalized with 3 demerits.
An unexcused tardy is the absence from class in the morning when the bell rings or during the day between classes. The School’s main gate will be closed at 8:00 and any students arriving later than 8:00 without a valid excuse, will be denied access to the school premises.
Each unexcused tardy will be penalized with 1 or 2 demerits (2 is for an assembly) and continuous tardiness will result in direct DETENTION.
After arriving late on 3 occasions in a week, students will be asked to report to school DC, thereafter the parents/guardians may be called.
Upon the 8th unexcused tardy, there will be a mandatory meeting with the student’s Form teacher and parents. This meeting will be scheduled to occur the morning after the family is contacted by the school.
Students may not exceed 14 unexcused tardies in the term. On the 15th tardy reported, the student and parent will be called in to explain the tardiness. Continuous failure to be punctual may result in transfer to an alternative educational institution.